Friday, February 20, 2015

Using Essential Oils to Comfort Babies Before and After Vaccines

I cringe at the word vaccines. Even as a child I always hated anything that had to do with needles. Now that I have my own child I see the pain and discomfort than can come after vaccines. My daughter is 7.5 months old now. Every time she gets vaccines I prepare for the next two days to be exhausting. She is extremely fussy and sleeps even worse after vaccines. This last time she reached a fever of 102°. I needed to do something to help her, anything. I have used baby ibuprofen but I started using essential oils on her shot marks and the bottoms of her feet. She seemed to be comforted by this, at least for a while and then I would reapply. Many times her mood would change after a minute of applying.

Here are some simple guidelines for using essential oils on babies for vaccines:

BEFORE
(For those who do not use DoTerra, I am including the common name as well)

- Apply Onguard or a Protective Blend on the bottoms of feet a week before vaccines and right before the appointment to build up the immune system
- Apply Lavender, Serenity or a Calming Blend to the bottoms of the feet before the appointment

AFTER

- Apply Lavender to injection site(s)
- Apply Lavender, Lemon and Breathe to the bottoms on the feet afterwards for calming effects and Breathe or a Respiratory Blend to open airways afterwards. Use Lemon oil or Cilantro oil to rid the body of toxins or heavy metals that may be in vaccines.
- If child develops a fever apply Lavender and Peppermint oil to the bottoms of the feet. Studies have shown that Peppermint oil reduces fevers. Apply as needed. As long as my little one expressed discomfort I would reapply.
- Since Frankincense is a wonderful "Heal all" oil, I applied this to my little one as well

*** ALWAYS dilute essential oils when applying to children under 2 years of age. I recommend diluting with Fractionated Coconut Oil because it comes in liquid form and absorbs rapidly into the skin without an oily residue***

Click Here to View Essential Oils

* Claims haven't been evaluated by FDA. If allergic to ingredients, do not use. These claims do not take the place of doctor recommendations. Claims are only intended to help ease symptoms experienced after vaccinations*


3 comments:

  1. Love this information. Its exactly what I had been doing for my littlest before and after her immunisations and I swear it has made a difference compared to how her older sister suffered with the over the counter children's pain medicines and an ice pack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peppermint, rosemary and eucalyptus essential oils should not be used in children younger than 6 (some say 10) due to causing breathing issues in some children. Please research the safety of using some oils (some can be diffused but can't be applied for example) especially with young children. Essential oils can be very powerful and dangerous, especially to very young children with delicate immune systems and thin skin. Please be safe when using essential oils and children should never ingest them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Essential oils should not be used on babies period. Please do some research outside of your mlm on EO Safety.

    ReplyDelete